At last the Middle Way Walkers Group were able to get back to walking the Lea Valley path in May, and for once the sun was shining on us. We set off through the historic market town of Hertford, crossing through the Castle Grounds where we had our first sighting of the River Lea swollen by the River Mimram. We would not see the river again until we got to the end of our walk. Turning left at the Black Horse pub and walking up Wallfield Alley, we emerged opposite a path taking us down to the Cole Green Way. This is a 6 mile bridleway running between Hertford and Welwyn Garden City, along the former railway line which was built in 1858. The last train to use this route was in 1966 and the path was opened as a nature trail in 1976. Our lunch spot was at the former Cole Green Station, where the platform is still in evidence and there were picnic tables for us to use. Carrying on along the path we passed through a tunnel under the A414, where several graffiti artists were at work: the smell of the spray paint made us swiftly move on. The path soon came to an end and we entered a residential area passing the newish Queen Elizabeth 11 Hospital, the architecture of which caused some discussion. After a 10 minute walk beside the busy A414 we came to Mill Green and our last sighting of the River Lea.
We took some time out to enjoy the gardens of the Mill Green Museum which is home to a working mill before making our way to Hatfield Station.