On 12 April members of the Shorter Walks Group had a really enjoyable walk around Walthamstow Village, which was unknown to us in Crouch End and Muswell Hill. The photos show the range of buildings, from St Mary’s Churchyard to the old Walthamstow Town Hall. We had tea and a chance to look round the William Morris Gallery as well. For once, it did not rain!
Fragment from the General Post Office building that once stood in St Martins-le-Grand near St Paul’s Cathedral. The building, designed by Robert Smirke (architect of the British Museum), was demolished in 1912.
Former Walthamstow Postal Sorting Office, built in 1903.
Walthamstow Town Hall, built in 1941 to a design by architect Philip Hepworth.
Photographs © Alison Miller